Connect

Armbar defense

KantTapMe's picture
KantTapMe
93 Posts

I need some general armbar defenses, a way to escape opponents full mount, and a way to escape side controll. post vids, pics, and techniques, etc.

?Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.? ?If you know the enemy and know yourself you need not fear the results of a hundred battles.? Sun Tzu

Moridin's picture
Moridin
224 Posts

Arm bar defenses... Are you referring to from the guard? I know one defense for if you're on your back, such as if they slipped you into an armbar from mount. First make sure your hands are clasped together so that they can't isolate your arm for the submission. Next using your clasped hands, push their leg that's above your head over and behind it. You have to lift your head up and get their leg under it. Then bridge up and roll into them to end up in guard.

By "a way to break... full mount... and... side control" I'm assuming you mean to escape, so here are a couple of techniques:

For escaping the mount, my most preferred technique is:
First place your elbows by their thighs, with your hands next to your neck to protect against chokes. Wriggle your way up so that their hips are as close to yours as possible. You don't want them sitting on your chest, or you have no control. Once your hips are under theirs, bump up your hips to throw them off balance, and when they fall forward reach up and "wizzer" (wrestling term for an overhook) one of their arms. Next, place your foot outside of their foot on the same side of the arm you wizzered, bridge up, and roll over to the same side you wizzered, and end up inside guard.

There's several other techniques for escaping mount, but I don't use them very often, and they'd be hard to explain without pictures.

For side control there's several techniques that work very well. The important thing in side control when you're on the bottom is creating space. You probably know this next part but I'll mention it anyway just in case: Keep your elbow that's closer to their hip under their body, so that your forearm lies across their abdomen, and your hand rests on their hip on the same side as your head. This allows you to control the hips so they don't get too close. Take your other arm that's near their head and place the forearm across the neck, clasping your hand onto their shoulder that's closer to your head. This helps create space too. Just drive your forearm away from you and they'll usually pull back from the pressure on their throat. From here it's a matter of how you want to escape:

1. Turn onto your hip so you are facing them, then shrimp your hips backwards to create space, pull your knee that's closer to them up towards your chest, and swing your way under them to end up in guard.

2. I like this one more, if I'm not too gassed out to use it. It requires some explosive movement if you want to do it effectively, but it's really simple and you can end up possibly taking the back. It's simple to execute but explaining it is a bit more difficult, so here goes. All you have to do is pummel the hand that's against their throat through their arms, so that you now effectively have two underhooks. All they have between their arms is your head. Place the hand you pummeled in on their side that's further from you. Using that hand and your other hand that's already on their hip, push their body upwards slightly, and towards your head. Simultaneously, use this force and your legs to pop out from underneath them, pulling your head through their arms, and as you come out from under them twist your body towards them so that you end up on your knees with your arms on their sides or around them, with them still on all fours wondering where the hell you went.

I hope this was helpful, I'm sorry I don't have any pictures to use to show you.

"I don't care if it's God's own Anti-Son-of-a-B*tch machine or a giant hula hoop, we are not going to let them have it. What we will let them have is a belly full of lead, and a pool of their own blood to drown in!" - Sergeant Johnson

Moridin's picture
Moridin
224 Posts

Wow... It didn't look that long when I was typing it <.<

"I don't care if it's God's own Anti-Son-of-a-B*tch machine or a giant hula hoop, we are not going to let them have it. What we will let them have is a belly full of lead, and a pool of their own blood to drown in!" - Sergeant Johnson

Cobra's picture
Cobra
2134 Posts

I'm not going to read all of moridin's post right now so sorry if he already said this:

for armbar defense make sure your hands are clasped. you have to clasp them the right way though or they will break it. to do it the right way take your fingers and make like a tight 'c' shape and put them together. they'll have a hell of a time trying to break this.

then, after that you will have a little time. you need to get your elbow underneath their crotch, right in front of their asshole (sorry). then they don't have the armbar anymore

KantTapMe's picture
KantTapMe
93 Posts

thanks guys mordrin you did great but im still slightly confused on the side cntrl escapes but hey the armbar defenses are great thanks guys and if anyone else has suggestions...

?Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.? ?If you know the enemy and know yourself you need not fear the results of a hundred battles.? Sun Tzu

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.