Connect

Foods to eat while cutting weight?

AMMAwarrior's picture
AMMAwarrior
208 Posts
291 Points

Does anybody have any tasty recipes for foods to eat while cutting weight? Peanut butter sandwichs get a bit old...

Defeat is a state of mind

initial_ZEN's picture
initial_ZEN
359 Posts
351 Points

Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

The Eternal Fire's picture
The Eternal Fire
230 Posts
256 Points

steak. I go as close to the Paleo diet as I can. No grains (performance is far better since cutting them completely the last few weeks before a fight). but eating steak, chicken, fish, etc is great Smile

-Drew Brokenshire 

tat2edup's picture
tat2edup
6457 Posts
7700 Points

^^^

I second 'The Eternal Fire's' comment- Straight caveman is the way to go. Our ancestors were the healthiest people in history.

Caveman menu- Lean meats, fruit, veges, nuts, eggs

Some of my favorite recipes are- 3 egg omlet with spincah and salsa, shredded steak or chicken over spinach with salsa, sweet potatoe with cinnamon and a tsp light butter. Oh and Jennie-O turkey burgers are really good as well.

Salsa makes any vegetable taste awesome and it really has nothing in it to ruin your diet.

"Courage is endurance for one moment more"- Unknown Vietnam vet

"If size mattered, the elephant would be the king of the jungle."- Rickson Gracie

Ricandiazz's picture
Ricandiazz
572 Posts
57 Points

THese are all good thanks

zombiekev's picture
zombiekev
478 Posts
619 Points

Vegetables vegetables vegetables.  Screw the peanut butter sandwich, it ain't gonna do nothing for you.  Vegetables help with the recovery of your muscles and nervous system.  Vegetables are also very filling and will keep you satisfied.   

Stick to vegetables and light proteins (chicken, fish, egg whites). 

I don't know why you are eating bread if you are trying to cut weight?

For those eating steak (beef).  Beef is hard to digest.  A portion of beef is smaller than your fist.  I would avoid this condensed protein while trying to cut weight.  Might be okay to eat 4 - 6 weeks away from competition, but not okay to eat within 4 weeks of your performance. 

Hope my nutrition advice helps. 

tat2edup's picture
tat2edup
6457 Posts
7700 Points

I eat red meat about twice a week, even when cutting weight, and havent had any problems. My metabolism is mediocre and Ive noticed that when I cut out fat I tend to store it more. Fat also helps to regulate testosterone levels which will keep your strength up. Yes, beef is hard to digest but protein in general is hard to break down.

Not saying that zombiekev is wrong but every person's body is different. Ive been cutting weight since age 15 (Im almost 30 now) and have gotten to know what works for my body type the best over the years.

If you dont want to eat alot of beef there are alternatives like- almonds and other nuts, olive oil, and fatty fish such as salmon etc.

"Courage is endurance for one moment more"- Unknown Vietnam vet

"If size mattered, the elephant would be the king of the jungle."- Rickson Gracie

Billy Chuck's picture
Billy Chuck
165 Posts
128 Points
Dave Leverich's picture
Dave Leverich
1327 Posts
1362 Points

Yeah, great stuff from all Smile

I personally cut out almost all red meat after learning how much is in most people's intestines undigested... A buddy of mine cut 8 pounds by simply cutting out red meat. Kinda scary heh.

I keep mixed nuts, sunflower seeds, peanuts, raisins, oranges, apples, grapefruit, bananas, granola etc by my desk and graze all day. A little every hour or so.

Green tea is a good one as well.

If it's water weight, avoid salts (cut soda/pop completely out, that crap is worthless).

There's my bit to add to the madness heh.

- Dave.

I don't have to win every time, it doesn't bother me in the slightest to get tapped. So I'm able to learn the ins and outs without my ego getting in the way. - Eu

http://www.facebook.com/daveleverich
http://www.linkedin.com/in/daveleverich

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.