Connect

judo gis vs bjj gis

misfito500's picture
misfito500
4 Posts

I have always liked judo gis better then bjj gis. first judo gis are almost always cheaper then bjj gi's. bjj gis also tend to be really stiff i think this is one of the reasons that i find they don't last as long as judo gis and judo gis also tend go through the wash better without wearing out. does anybody else feel this way or am i alone.

BallPtPenTheif's picture
BallPtPenTheif
337 Posts

I used to have a BJJ gi but now I have a Judo gi. The Judo gi is definitely looser, durable, and more forgiving on the knuckles. My old BJJ Gi was a Kikskin Gi and I actually preferred it because the fit wasn't loose. I had worn it in really nice and well, it fit perfectly and then some dude tore the crotch open with a standing ankle lock. Not bad for two years.

LSBJJ's picture
LSBJJ
3888 Posts

A BJJ gi is basically a Judo gi cut like a Karate gi.
(and more expensive because the demand is higher)

DRay's picture
DRay
3431 Posts

^^^ Good information to have. Do you know what the logic is for one cut over the other or have any personal experience stories related to each one?

"The greatest companion is good balance, wrestling boldly, and never faint hearted."

-Fabian von Auerswald

KeithKLM's picture
KeithKLM
873 Posts

I have a Judo Gi, BJJ Gi and a Karate Gi. A middle weight Kartate Gi has held up pretty well in grappling training but if is didn't the great thing it was 20 bucks.

I pray, do yoga, meditate and still want to smack people

LSBJJ's picture
LSBJJ
3888 Posts

@DRay, The Judo gi is built for grabbing and tugging that's why it thicker then a regular Karate or Tae Know-Do gi (which will rip and tear). In the old days the used Judo gis in BJJ because they didn't rip or tear. But the top of the Judo gi was too big for pure grappling. Feet would get caught in the sleeves, the long top would prohibit movement, etc. So someone decided to make a smaller top (like a karate gi) out of the judo gi material and the rest is history.

Anonymous's picture
Anonymous

i have all three gi's but prefer the bjj gi because the karate gi gets ripped easily and the judo gi has really wide sleeves which makes it easy for your opponent to control your hands and arms

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.