Connect

Molliscum Contagiosum and possibly MRSA or plain old staph

Mr. Do's picture
Mr. Do
1612 Posts

So I just came from the doctors office, which I went in for thinking I have MRSA/Staph. I got this huge cyst on my left arm that looks like a spider bite. And these 2 cluster-like bumps on the back of my neck in addition to a eczema like rash by them and on my elbows.

Well anyways, still waiting on the culture results for the cyst, which they drained and stuff some long strand of gauze which they call a wick on to prevent the skin from closing over it. It turns out the prognosis on my neck, the dermatologist diagnosed it as Molliscum, which is a wart-like virus that spreads when popped, similar to the various other skin infections. The doctor froze them with nitrogen and I got to go back in a few weeks to get checked again.

She didn't prescribe any antibiotics to be taken orally, I guess she's waiting on the results first for the cyst, I really hope its just that too and not staph/MRSA

As for the molliscum, that such a bummer, being contagious and all. Has anybody else experienced this? Supposedly its like genital warts ugly cousin, but it gets to breakout anywhere. They look like little clusters of hard beebee like pimples and spread like wildfire if provoked and ruptured. I'm assuming I got it from grappling or any clinch drills involving grabbing of the neck that we do.

I've been avoiding training as much for the last few months partly because of this, in fear or spreading it further to my gym-mates. I don't have any medical insurance and finally saved up enough to go see a doctor and pay out of pocket, which I come to find out wasn't as expensive as I thought it was going to be. Now i wish i did this a long time ago. Oye vay!

"Boards don't hit back"-Bruce Lee (Enter the Dragon circa 1973)

ptbeast's picture
ptbeast
991 Posts

Molliscum is nasty stuff. Not in the sense of being dangerous, but in the sense that it is very hard to get rid of. I had a bad case of it about a year and a half ago. Because it is contagious, I was off the mats for several months. Untreated it can take up to a YEAR to go away on its own.

The good news is, as you noted, it is a relative of the wart. It responds to the same types of treatment. It can be frozen off, as your doctor did. In smaller patches it can be treated with over the counter wart remover.

It is great that you got it treated. It should cease to be a problem shortly.

Dave

Alive MMA/Brazilian Top Team
Portland, OR

Joe Friday's picture
Joe Friday
979 Posts

Yea, me and my neighbor had the same thing!!! It went undiagnosed for the longest cause I kept thinking they would go away. But, when they started spreading I went to the dermatologist to find out what was going on. We just had to keep putting salycilic acid on them until they finally quit showing up.

Just the facts maam.

Dave Leverich's picture
Dave Leverich
1329 Posts

Is that "mat herpes"? I'd seen pictures, sounded the same.

I don't have to win every time, it doesn't bother me in the slightest to get tapped. So I'm able to learn the ins and outs without my ego getting in the way. - Eu

http://www.facebook.com/daveleverich
http://www.linkedin.com/in/daveleverich

Mr. Do's picture
Mr. Do
1612 Posts

^possibly a close cousin as well. Either way, I feel like I'm starting to become a hypochondriac, looking up any other ailments I might possibly have. I'm pretty overdue for a physical as well.

judobrian's picture
judobrian
390 Posts

Dave, mat herpes really is that - herpes. Same as causes most cold sores. Molluscum is a different virus, closer to the one that causes warts than the herpes virus.
Apologies for the giant pictures.

Herpes - clear blisters leading to erosions, mildly painful, relatively temporary

Molluscum - more flesh colored, solid, sometimes with a dimple in the middle. Usually painless, and stick around for a while.
[/img]

Mr. Do's picture
Mr. Do
1612 Posts

so i got my results back for the Cyst on my arm. It came back negative, i don't have staph or MRSA, PHEW! i still have this huge gaping hole, as my wick got pullled out when my bandaged dressing got ripped off accidentally

I still got the Molliscum on the back of my neck, waiting for it to die off, when the doc froze it with the nitrogen.

thaichuteboxer's picture
thaichuteboxer
50 Posts

When i had molluscum the doctor pressed them with this metal thing that had a hole in the middle, it took the center out, then they were gone in a few weeks and never came back.

I think the nitrogen way is way more painful. I have had warts removed where they use that and they come back, when they just cut them out they never come back. I think doctors are afraid of the open wounds getting infected thats why they try the nitrogen way. I have gone back to the dr 3 times to get a wart frozen on my finger and i have a 20 dollar copay, im about to cut it out myself yakuza style

Mr. Do's picture
Mr. Do
1612 Posts

"im about to cut it out myself yakuza style"

hmm, yeah ill take that into consideration, if all else fails.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.