Connect

Pins and needles after choke

sundalo's picture
sundalo
52 Posts

At practice today, we we're working a techniques and I got caught In darce choke. He had an incredibly tight squeeze but I eventually escaped. Afterwards, i felt like my arm had pins and needles all the way through my chest snd shoulder. Now, a couple hours later, my arm still feels the same. No pain but yeah. Should I be freakin out?

PIT Monster's picture
PIT Monster
108 Posts

I felt the same way once after escaping a really tight triangle.  No pain, just pins and needles in my shoulder/arm.  It went away the next day though and I've had no problems with it since.  Hope it ends as well for you too!

initial_ZEN's picture
initial_ZEN
359 Posts

Sounds like you may have pinched a nerve.  The same exact thing happened to me like half a year ago.. from the same choke.  I was stuck in a really tight darce for what seemed like forever and when i finally escaped my arm was numb and felt like it was alseep..  It continuted to feel that way for weeks and i went to the doctor and he tole me i pinched a nerve.  I went to some physically therapy just to make sure that there was no atrophy which is really the only thing you have to look out for if you did pinch a nerve.  I had to take a break from things for a month or two.. there's not much to do.  But i would definitely go to the doctor if it doesnt go away in a day or a few

Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

sundalo's picture
sundalo
52 Posts

K, I'll try to rest tomorrow and see how it feels in the next two or three days then if it doesn't go away, I'll see a doc. Thanks guys!

CombatChaz's picture
CombatChaz
24438 Posts

Keep us posted bro, and get an avatar too...

n/a
alpha's picture
alpha
438 Posts

totally sounds like a pinched nerve.

sundalo's picture
sundalo
52 Posts

Haha, you got it Chaz. 

sundalo's picture
sundalo
52 Posts

K, I promise I'll get an avatar soon Chaz. But i thought I'd give everyone an update so if they ever get injured like this, they can refer to this article.

It's been a week and two days and needless to say, I've been itching to practice.

There is absolutely no pain in my shoulder, upper chest, or upper arm area (never was)

The "pins and needles" feeling that was there has subsided for the most aprt however I do still feel it. I wanna get back to training so bad guys. 

Should I keep waiting to see if the symptoms completely go away or go to the doctor? 

Snap-on's picture
Snap-on
128 Posts

I got this type of injury at work. I went to the doctor and the doctor said there was no problem doing anything and that it would go away after a couple of weeks. It turned out fine so if you have a pinched nerve you should be able to train as long as it doesn't seem to aggrivate it.  I'm no medical expert though, just relating my own experience. The best bet is to see a doctor.

"Hello Japan!" ... Tap, tap, tap

"IF YOU WANT TO GET YOUR FACE BEATEN AND WELL SMASHED, YOUR ____ KICKED, AND YOUR ARMS BROKEN, CONTACT CARLOS GRACIE AT THIS ADDRESS . . . "

jwhite43's picture
jwhite43
626 Posts

If you are still getting some tingling then something is causing preasure on a nerve (inflimation or bulging disc) and you should wait till you have no more symtoms before risking further injury. If it's getting better, you could let it keep getting better and see if it will resolve itself.  If it has stopped getting better, you may want to get it checked out. Some PT may be in order to get it back to good.

Take it from someone who never let his neck injuries heal all the way before getting back on the mat, it can become a cronic problem that bothers you for a long time if you don't take good care of it.  

Good luck man!

"You shut your mouth when you're talking to me!"

FireCat-75's picture
FireCat-75
7861 Posts

I had a pinched nerve and ignored it for almost a year until I couldn't use my right hand and most of my arm, I finally went in and the doc told me surgery was needed and I'd be lucky if I got 100% use of my hand back.  If you still have an issue in a month I'd defiantly go in and see what's up.

good luck hope it clears up

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying "I will try again tomorrow"

FireCat-75's picture
FireCat-75
7861 Posts

Hello Sundalo just checking in how are you doing?

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying "I will try again tomorrow"

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.